Click here for more.

5/25/11

Chris Tong once hit by a bout of depression



chris tong
She's no gym rat or exercise fanatic and has a weak stamina for physically-demanding activities. Putting herself through the rigorous training regimes for upcoming Ch8 drama C.L.I.F (Courage, Loyalty, Integrity and Fairness) and wearing bulky combat gear was no doubt, a daunting task for Malaysian actress Chris Tong.

Speaking in an interview with xinmsn at C.L.I.F's press conference last Thursday, Chris readily shared the obstacles she encountered while filming this drama. Apart from physical limitations, seasickness and nursing a sprained ankle with bruises all over her body, it was also a mentally trying period for her.

"I don't exercise normally but because my character is a very courageous person, I have to run faster than the males and I am also more adept at catching baddies than the men.


chris tong

"I'm constantly at the frontlines in the show when in reality, I am the weakest one amongst the cast," she chuckled.

The soft-spoken petite actress confessed that she was "initially counting down to the day when I can bid goodbye to this role". Dubbed as a burden at first, the additional 8kg weight from the combat "baggage" became negligible with each passing day.

She added, "On the last day of filming as a Police Coast Guard Officer, I realized that I may not get a second chance to go through such a realistic experience. I think I'm going to miss this set of uniform that I'm wearing today." After C.L.I.F, Chris took part in two movie productions and is currently filming a new period drama series Code of Honour in Malaysia. While fellow co-stars like Rui En, Elvin Ng and Andie Chen are sent for martial arts training, Chris is relieved to be playing a demure "damsel in distress".

Although she won't be hitting punching bags or thrusting her fists around, the actress will not be getting the shorter end of the stick and will be crying "90% of the time".

"Even the makeup artist told me she won't fix on false eyelashes or do thick eye makeup for me because I'll always be crying and the makeup would smudge," she shared.
chris tong
Production is estimated to four months long and with such a grief-stricken role, we asked Chris if she is afraid of falling into depression.

The plucky lass then let on that she was once struck with a "minor bout of depression" after she filmed A Time to Embrace, a Malaysian drama series.
Recalling a previous incident, the 27-year-old said, "During the later part of the drama, I did not know I was down with depression. While packing my luggage, I started getting emotional and did not want to leave for Singapore; I squatted in front of my bag and started to break down."


While she was "purely venting her frustrations" through her tears at that time, what struck Chris deeply was when her mother started to cry with her. According to Chris's mom, the actress morphed into a different person while filming the drama and said it was "difficult" to get along or communicate with her.

Now in a positive and happy-go-lucky mode, Chris admitted that she's a little unwilling to settle into her character's emotions just yet.

"I'm in the midst of adjusting my emotions to fit that of my character. I will add in some bits of optimism to (the role) and show audience that girls living in that era may be vulnerable but still tough in some ways."


"The roles I've been getting in Singapore are usually headstrong and official ones. This time I can finally let people see a different side of me, a very innocent and young character," she quipped.


C.L.I.F debuts on May 31 on Ch8 at 9pm.

chris tong

source : xin.msn



Chris Tong once hit by a bout of depression

 

Copyright © I am an Asian Girl Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger